I have always detested applying decals to the ends of rolling stock. I always struggle to find a way to hold the car vertical. I have tried putting it in various containers like cups and such, propping it up in my foam cradle etc. Well last night I got out the machinist tools. In this case, a right angle grinding plate. I used a storage container as a spacer and a mini quick clamp to hold the loco shell to the angle plate. Its a lot easier to apply decals when the shell isn't moving all over the place.
In this case I'm going to attempt to put on the loco numbers using dry transfers. We'll see how it goes.