Over the thanksgiving long weekend in Canada I kitbashed an Ontario Northland boxcar. It's based on a prototype built by National Steel Car in 1948, using an Atlas 1937 AAR 10' high kit. Here is a link to a picture I used for inspiration.
The Atlas kit has moulded on details, so I started by shaving them off. I tried to minimize the paint damage but it happens.
I also added Details Associates Bracket Grabs(Not Shown). While the glue was drying on the ladders I drilled out the roof walk holes and plugged them with styrene rod. These were sanded flush with the roof support ribs.
The next step was to build the ends. I used Sylvan Scale Models detail parts for the NSC 2 Ends which have the correct rib shape for the prototype car. Here is a picture with all the parts on, ready to install on the Atlas Car. I used Tichy turnbuckles to attach the brake rod to the chain and to the fulcrum at the bottom. This is something I learned from Pierre Oliver's Blog (Elgin Car Shops). This is a great idea and much easier than any other method I have tried.
After this I assembled the car, painted the ends, doors and touched up the roof with CNW Green from PolyScale. I added "no running board decals", COTS and ACI plaques as well as the car end numbers. This was followed up with a coat of Valleo matt finish.
I painted the trucks and wheels with Rustoleum Camaflage brown and cleaned up the wheel treads with a wire brush in my Dremel tool. This was the first time I used the Dremel for this and I was surprised how well and quickly it worked. Weathering was done with a white wash with a bit of green added in using acrylics. Next up was rust spots and streaks using artists oils. I finished off with a coat of dark streaking grime from AK on the roof. I put it on as a wash. I then did some streaks on the side using the AK streaking grime with a fan brush at the top edge and a 5/0 brush for the streaks at the end of the door tracks. The bottom of the car was given a wash of AK rust streaking effects. The trucks were given a treatment with powders to rust and dirty them up a bit. Overall I am happy with how things turned out.