Feeling good about finishing the Line Poles yesterday, I decided to tackle two projects this evening. I started with Switch Stands. I basically followed the instruction in the Osborn Model Kit package. Here is the results after assembly and some back paint.
I like the stands and the ease of installing the targets. The targets are made from yellow stickers, that you fold over the posts. The only thing is, the targets look like stickers you have folded over the post and not really like targets. If you look at the prototype photo on the kit packaging you can see that the target is sheet metal and attached to one side of the post. So the sticker method while easy isn't very prototypical. I needed to make some new targets. I grabbed the Magnuson Models package the Tank Truck came in( see my post from 2 days ago), and proceeded to cut, sand and shape new targets from the clear packaging material. I wasn't being cheap, I just didn't bring any sheet styrene with me. Here is what I ended up with. I also decided I like red targets better. It needs another coat of paint on the target, but it looks much better. It has the target only on one side of the post.
Here is all six I made up. I also made an extra target for a stand I have already installed on the layout.
The second project I finished up was sanding and painting a package of whistle posts. Again from Osborn Model Kits. ( I have no financial interests in Osborn, I just like supporting a local Canadian hobby business). Nothing to fancy here, just some black paint in the 'W' and then dry brush on some white paint.