I finished up the first two cars from my Stash of Kits.
First up is a Bangor and Aroostock 40' boxcar. The kit is from Intermountain and the decals are from Highball. I scratch built the door from Styrene sheet and strip to match the prototype. I need to swap the trucks with a set of ASF A3 ride control ones from Kato. I painted and weathered them but they seam to have gone into hiding in my workshop.
Next up is the CP Reefer. I fixed up the car numbers and reporting mark using some leftovers decals from a MicroScale CP car set. I need to find and apply a 50 foot roof walk, but its done other than that.
Weathering was an oil wash applied with a fine brush using capillary action to highlight the panel lines, rivets and door features. Pan Pastels were applied while the oil wash was still wet to give it some texture. I used some Pan Pastels on the car ends, the roof got the same oil wash as the highlights. Burnt Umber artist oil was applied to one of the roof panels to simulate a rusted out panel, and just lightly on two others by stippling. I followed up with some rust streaks on the side of the car under the heavly rusted roof panel. This car is a stand in for the prototype at best, but I think it turned out great for a simple blue box kit.