Friday 31 March 2017

GTW Woodchip Hopper and Southern Flat

  I finally finished up the GTW wood chip hopper project.  These cars were loaded at Wilner Wood products of Norway Maine and billed to the Brown company in Berlin, NH, a pulp and paper plant.  I painted it with True Colour CN red #11.  I had the decals custom designed and printed by Precision Design Company.  As usual their service and decals are top notch.

  There were 21 cars in the series consisting of  #'s 454001 - 454021.  The first 14 were constructed during 1964-66, with the remaining cars built in 1971.  They were originally American Car and Fundry built 70 Ton offset side triple hoppers.  Wood extensions were added to increase the capacity.  My son made the load for it using foam and saw dust from our table saw.

    The Southern flat car is a resin kit available from Mask Island decals.

   It came with a laser cut wood deck, unfortunately the pocket holes didn't line up very well with those on the body, so I made a new deck from 0.060" V-Groove Styrene sheet. I scribed individual board lines on the edges to make them look like separate boards.

  The load simulates hydro poles made from Southern Yellow Pine logs.  They are 3/16" Poplar dowels stained with Minwax Dark Walnut stain. I also dusted them with some Bragdon powders.   The stakes are brass rod, turned down to fit in the stake pockets on one end and drilled on the other so they look to be made from steel tubes.  The Brass stakes and poles add much needed mass to this car.  The poles are glued together by flowing some thin CA on the end of the pile and are secured to the deck with metal strapping made from black construction paper.

  I gave the under body a full set of brake rigging, you can't see it but I know its there.

  The car  is painted with Scale Coat Oxide Red and decalled with the fine Mask Island Decals supplied in the kit.

  Both cars are fitted with Rapido's 70 Ton Barber S2A trucks.

7 comments:

  1. Great work as always, Ryan. Thanks for sharing here. Cheers!
    - Trevor (Port Rowan in 1:64)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job Ryan, really like your woodchip car...will have to try some when I clean up my other projects...George

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Ryan, after our earlier attemps that looks great I like the colour blend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect model, I am in the process of building some BAR wood chip cars I may have to build one of these... unless you have a spare one to sell !!! JOHN

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Ryan

    I really like your layout. I love the simplicity of it but I have a few questions:

    1) Is it too simple? Is their really enough operation with 6 industries and 6 spurs?

    2) Would you add anymore next time for variety? or to increase operational interest?

    3) How much rolling stock do you need for the layout? How many freights cars and locos do you have?

    Keep up the great modelling

    Thanks

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. did the GTW have any chip hoppers built by extending the sides & ends of old boxcars?

    ReplyDelete