Friday 1 April 2016

BAR 4517 and CP Reefer

I finished up the first two cars from my Stash of Kits.

First up is a Bangor and Aroostock 40' boxcar.  The kit is from Intermountain and the decals are from Highball.  I scratch built the door from Styrene sheet and strip to match the prototype.  I need to swap the trucks with a set of ASF A3 ride control ones from Kato.  I painted and weathered them but they seam to have gone into hiding in my workshop.

I weathered it using Pan Pastels, an Oil wash and a black coloured pencil for the panel lines.  To fade the boxcar red paint,  I mixed a few colours of Pan Pastels together and brushed them on.  I wiped the Pan Pastels from the Road Name, Car Number and Shield with a wet Q tip. This was to get them to stand out again.  The roof has a black oil paint wash.  A coat of Testers Dullcoat and that's about it.  I really liked how this car came out.

Next up is the CP Reefer.  I fixed up the car numbers and reporting mark using some leftovers decals from a MicroScale CP car set.  I need to find and apply a 50 foot roof walk, but its done other than that.



 Weathering was an oil wash applied with a fine brush using capillary action to highlight the panel lines, rivets and door features.  Pan Pastels were applied while the oil wash was still wet to give it some texture.  I used some Pan Pastels on the car ends, the roof got the same oil wash as the highlights.  Burnt Umber artist oil was applied to one of the roof panels to simulate a rusted out panel, and just lightly on two others by stippling.  I followed up with some rust streaks on the side of the car under the heavly rusted roof panel.  This car is a stand in for the prototype at best, but I think it turned out great for a simple blue box kit.

6 comments:

  1. Nice job, Ryan. I particularly like the scratch-built door on the BAR car. I have some doors to build for a CNR double-door boxcar. I should take a good look at what you did and discuss it with you sometime...
    Cheers!
    - Trevor (Port Rowan in 1:64)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan

    I too liked the BAR car. My recent weathering has also used Pan Pastels---mostly burnt umber-- that are then squirted with heavy water and then wiped down with a triangular cosmetics sponge. To me, the resulting very flat consistently dirty surface is closer to what rolling stock looked like in my 1959 era. Roofs get a similar treatment but with black powder.

    Regards
    Roger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,

      Interesting technique with the water and Pan Pastels. I'll have to give that try.

      Thanks for the comment.

      Ryan

      Delete
  3. The italicized CP reporting marks and numbers are from the later 1969+ CP Rail paint scheme, and not used yet on the older scheme, but might fit something CP might do with lettering on hand if they had to similarly touch up worn off lettering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,

      Right you are! I was wondering if anyone would point that out. I was too cheap to go out and buy the Decal set just for a few letters for this one car. Its a stand in at best anyway.

      Ryan

      Delete
  4. Ryan,
    I really like the BAR boxcar, the subtle weathering on 4517 is spot on. I think you found your grove!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete