Over the last week I decided to take a crack at weathering one of my Algonquin Locomotives. In this case #502. I used powders, artists oils and AK Interactive streaking effects. I started with a coat of dullcote from the airbrush. I mix it 50/50 with lacquer thinner. It goes on better when thinned and a bottle lasts longer. I printed out a couple of photos of Rs-10's to see how they weathered and got to work. I used full strength black artist oil around the exhaust and on the sills to represent thick black oil spills. Then I used dark rust, black and white powders to make the rest of the roof look beaten up. I used the Ak Interactive rust streaking effects along the sill and on all the lovers. I basically dry brushed it on. I finished the fuel tank up with gray and burnt umber pan pastels and Ak Interactive dark streaking effects around the fuel filler. I don't remember how I did the trucks as I weathered then about a year ago.
One thing I'm not happy with is the factory mu hoses on this unit. They stick out way too much. I'm going to change them out with some Cal scale brass ones.
Thanks for looking.